You are here
Office Applications and Computer Maintenance Programme
for deaf and non-oral students
To reach the highest degree of professionalism and excellence in preparing distinguished graduates in the fields of Computer Science and Information Technology in order to serve the local community
Offering distinguished programmes and high-quality education, via an academic environment that utilizes the most up-to-date technology and is propitious for creativity, in order to prepare theoretically and practically skilled graduates in the fields of computer science and IT, for the purpose of meeting the demands of the labour market
This programme was initiated for the purpose of meeting the needs of the local labour market for deaf and non-oral students based on two professional criteria: the national professional standard for the office and secretarial professionals and the national professional standard for computer maintenance. In this programme, the student is given an intensive dose of Arabic language skills as a second language, since the automatic language is the sign language. Also, students learn the basic skills in English language, mathematics and methods of human communication and interpersonal relationships. The programme plan also includes the basic skills in writing using both the Arabic and English keyboards and office applications on the computer and the operating system. There is also emphasis on the specialized skills related to the collection and configuration of the computer and the maintenance work necessary for it. The programme is run by the Computer Department at the Community College in Al-Kharj in four levels of study with 71 teaching hours in addition to field training and a graduate project, through which students take advantage of the latests in the labour market developments. This fosters the students’ ability to interact with others and deal with them more efficiently. Upon graduation, a student receives an associate diploma in office applications and computer maintenance for the deaf and non-oral students. This assigns the graduate to the first class of the fifth rank according to the classification of the Ministry of Civil Service.
Graduate of this program can expect to work in the fields related to the assembly and maintenance of computers and the areas related to office applications on the computer suitable for this category of people. Prospective job tasks include hardware assembly expert, data entry, information logger, private secretariat (office work in the field of computers) - Arabic and English versions.
Overall objective of the programme
This program aims to provide the student with the skills and information necessary for the practice of work in office applications and the assemblage and maintenance of computers that are suitable for the deaf and non-oral people at the fifth level of the national professional qualifications system.
Detailed Programme Objectives
By the time a student completes this programme, he will be able to perform the following tasks efficiently:
- Writing by keyboard (Arabic and English) in a tactful way.
- Computer management using the operating system (windows).
- Word processing.
- Processing of digital data using electronic spreadsheet programmes.
- Mail handling and time management.
- Preparation of presentations.
- Compilation of computer parts.
- Computer configuration.
- Maintenance of computer software and hardware problems.
Knowledge, aptitudes and skills acquired from the programme
- Provide students with the basic skills to deal with the computer and how to manage its components and software.
- Provide students with basic skills in reading, understanding and distinguishing vocabulary, and basic writing.
- Teamwork training as a computer grouping team - Performing a set of office tasks.
- Provide students with the basic skills to deal with the Internet and the use of e-mail.
- Provide students with advanced skills in writing, reading and understanding the specialized vocabulary items and distinguishing between them.
- Provide students with the basic skills in mathematics that qualify them to understand and implement mathematical operations in the office applications programs on the computer.
- Provide students with basic skills to deal with the computer and its operation and management of computer components and software.
- Provide students with basic skills to install and assemble computer components.
- Provide the student with the basic skills to deal with the electronic spreadsheet program professionally.
- Enhancing student skills in most previous courses, which cater for computer components and assembly.
Targeted Government Agencies
- All government agencies
- All civil organizations
- manager assistant
- Assistant trainer (in the field of specialization)
- A two-language machine operator
- Computer maintenance technician
- database recorder
- Text editor and processor
- Library curator